National Running Day today! Hooray! I ran a six mile tempo run in honor of this special day. During it, I began to think of the reasons why I love running so much. Here's what I could come up with:
1. You don't need much to do it. A decent pair of shoes and a sports bra to hold the girls and you're set.
2. The running community is not pretentious. Everyone is welcome. All ages, all abilities. It's like we exist to encourage each other. What other sport do "elites" run with people dressed as hot dogs? (If you haven't witnessed this, check out a 5k race!)
3. You compete against yourself. There's no team to fall back on. Just you. Since I am not Kara Goucher or Kenyan, I have very little chance of actually winning a race but I constantly work to improve my previous times.
4. It's a great stress buster. I can go out for a run after a horrible day and come back feeling like it was nothing.
5. Running makes my legs and butt look amazing.
6. I could outrun the nuclear holocaust. Okay, probably not, (especially since I plan on camping out in my basement eating sticks of unsalted butter with wheat bread) but this is the answer I love to give when people ask why I run so far/much.
What do you love about running?